Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Pointsettia Tutorial from A Hole in the Basket Primitives

There's this wonderful tutorial by Ann from A Hole in The Basket Primitives. The link is at the bottom of the page; be sure to check it out. I tried it last night while cooking dinner. I saw it and just had to give it a try. I'm not sure what I was thinking cooking dinner and attemptin a new craft project. It was incredibly simple though and well worth it. The most time consuming part was cutting out the petals and even that only took about 20 mins in between stirring rice. I didn't have any red wool so I used muslin instead. I tea stained it and then baked it in the toaster oven (my conventional oven was otherwise occupied) and the petals turned out a little stiff but I think it helped to hold the flowers shape. I also used upholstery thread since the fabric was a little stiff I thought that cotton thread might break as I was pulling the running stitch to gather the petals. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out, thanks Ann!!!

Ann's original project was an ornament but I think it looks as nice just laying on the table behind my sofa. I'm considering making a few more; maybe in white. There are just so many other things on my to do list, least of all picking up our tree today. We'll be setting it up tonight and hopefully I'll have some pictures of it to post tomorrow. I also have a few shots of an older finished piece I wanted to share as well as a new project I started last night after the kids were asleep.

Such a busy time of year and so much to share. It's all such a joy and I can't wait. Back to moving furniture around in our livingroom to make space for the tree and then maybe even some stitching time if my daugther agrees to take her afternoon nap.

Happy Holidays . . .

http://aholeinthebasketprimitives.blogspot.com/2010/12/prim-poinsettia-tutuorial.html

xoxo
Jennie Lynn

No comments: