Thursday, January 5, 2012

"Mercy" Doll

For someone (me) who says that she does not like sewing I have spent the last few days doing just that. Thanks to my wonderful husband who (while still on his vacation) has stepped up and taken over so many of my household responsibilities I have had the time to finally sew up this little doll that's been inhabiting my imagination for weeks now.

Meet "Mercy"

I just put the finishing touches on her and was so anxious to share her that I braved taking photos on a cloudy day. The idea for her came just before I began stitching on my latest sampler. Oh how I was torn. The comfort and ease of stitching on my sofa under a fluffy blanket or the anxiety of digging around in my chilly basement for my sewing machine, relearning how to thread the darn bobbin and then wrestling with seam allowances, pleats, and pattern measurements. Did I mention I don't really like sewing? It just doesn't come as easily to me as stitching and causes me so much anxiety. This little doll would just not stop nagging me, though, until I made her real.

I've seen dolls such as her before but I had to make one of my own with my own unique touches. She measures about 18 inches to the bottom of her skirt. She's a stump doll; there are no legs hiding under that dress. Neither the top of the bodice nor the bottom of the skirt are hemmed, just the frayed fabric ends. The skirt is attached to the bodice with pleating, so the skirt flares a bit from her body. She hangs from a sting attached to a rusty safety pin at her back and has the sweetest twigs for arms. I have to say that's my favorite feature; it's so perfectly prim.

Mercy had to wait so very long to be made because I was busy working on a sampler, also called "Mercy". The entire time I was stitching the sampler this little doll kept distracting me and I couldn't resist naming her after the sampler. With any luck you'll see photos of that finish tomorrow.

Until then I wish you all a peaceful winter's evening.

xoxo

Jennie Lynn

8 comments:

cucki said...

Hello desr..mercy is a very sweet looking doll..I love get so much..
keep well
Hugs cucki xx

Peggy Lee said...

She's perfect!
Sewing doesn't come as easily to me as cross stitching does either.

BumbleBeeLane said...

Love the simplicity of her.I agree with you I can sew just don't like to.Warm Blessings!~Amy

Lizzy Pizzy said...

Mercy is just lovely. Well done
Liz x

Shirlee said...

Very nice & I love her name : ) Blessings, Shirlee

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Mercy is so sweet and prim perfect.
You did a wonderful job. Sometimes I would rather stitch all day than sew.
Happy stitch'n
Prim Blessings
Robin

Susan At Glen Oaks Primitives said...

What a precious little doll. You did a great job with the sewing, her neck is nice and firm;that's a sign of good dollmaking!
I'm looking forward to seeing the finished sampler.

dixiesamplar said...

Mercy is perfectly prim indeed...what a wonderful idea, Jennie Lynn!