Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Yep, I'm still here . . .

I would apologize for my absence but in all honesty I'm just glad to be back.

My family began going through a difficult time a few months ago.  At the time I thought it best to just hold my breath and ride out the storm.  In doing so, it ended up completely engulfing me.  When it began I put so much of my life on hold, waiting for the end of it all when I could breathe again.  Unfortunately, the trials my family is enduring are not merely a rough patch, but for the time being, have become a way of life.  No longer being able to hold out until the end I had to adapt. I realized that in trivializing what at the time I viewed simply as a "hobby" and letting go of so much I held dear I made a difficult time all the more difficult.  I learned an important lesson, perhaps one others already know, but I feel the need to share.

Even if there are things in your life that seem to need all of your attention you always need to keep a little left over for yourself.


Now onto the good stuff!


I went nearly two months without putting in a single stitch, the longest time ever, aside from after each of my children were born.  The moment I picked up my needle again I felt like the Grinch . . . you know . . . "his small heart grew three sizes that day".  I know it sounds silly, but it felt as though this tiny little cell I'd been living in for months finally opened up.  I can tell you I am never again forgetting the significance those tiny little x's have for me :)

I've been busying finishing samplers that were left alone for months, charting ideas that had been stored away in some back corner of my mind, pulling out fabrics and threads, feeling inspired in a way I didn't think was possible anymore. 

I even have a free pattern sitting on my stitching table waiting for some embroidery.  Speaking of free patterns I have repaired all the links on my Free Patterns page.  I have been dreading doing that for weeks but it didn't take nearly as long as I feared it would. 

Things are looking up (or I'm choosing just to see the things that are, which is fine too) and I cannot say how glad I am to be back!

xoxo

Jennie Lynn

20 comments:

stitchinrose said...

Welcome back. Yep learning that it isn't selfish to say I need some me time, to heal, refresh the old battery. It helps keep us up and running and above all sane. Praying that your situation gets better and that God give you the strength to get through it all.

God bless

pj said...

Jennie Lynn, good t see you back. I know from experience that you are on the right track. It can be hard but you have to keep part back for just you. You are strong and prayers here for you to get through your time of frustration. Thanks for posting. pj

Jo Ann said...

welcome back-sure did miss you. Needlework is our savior~I am a firm believer of that one. Looking forward to your new designs too.

Happiness, Jo Ann

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Welcome Back Jennie!!!
Wishing you much happiness!
We're here for you too!
Prim Blessings
Robin

wranglerkate said...

Jennie Lynn - Welcome back! I've learned in life that you have to take care of yourself in order to take care of what needs to be done in your life. And you always have a choice - you can either laugh, or cry. I choose to laugh. I hope that you are able to choose positive over negative and keep moving forward. Best, Kate

Sweet Sue said...

Good to have you back and posting, you were truly missed! From time to time the view from a different window is helpful in times of reflection...

jan said...

Jennie -

I know exactly what you mean. I pretty much lost a year between 2011 and 2012 due to my mother's medical issues. When I finally had a piece of free time, I didn't know what to do with myself. Life is now a new normal, but I fit in time with my husband and with my rug hooking and punchneedle. I'm glad you found yourself too. ... jan

samplerlover said...

Welcome back. You are so right about looking after yourself and the little "x's". I have found in my life when things have gone pear shaped that the little "x's" have got me through.

I once read a long time ago about how Pioneer and Colonial Women in the past got through periods of Mourning after losing their family members by working on quilts. They poured all of their feelings into the piece that they were working on and it helped them to get to the other side.

Pamela@ The Sampler Makers Farmhouse said...

I have been going through the same thing~ !

The Humble Stitcher said...

I hear you, Jennie Lynn! I went thru the entire summer without making one stitch but when I finally picked up my needle again, the world suddenly started to seem a little brighter once more. I've been dealing with family issues for over a year now and they are unfortunately, here to stay. But stitching is my therapy and has helped me deal with all of the pain...it is a gift that I treasure beyond words.
Sending good thoughts your way...
Sandy

Kathy L. said...

Glad to see you back. Stitching is a wonderful balm for the soul. I hope things start to get better. God Bless!


Kathy

Carole said...

Jennie Lynn, taking just a few stitches a day is a tremendous stress reliever.....and remember the phrase, "this, too, shall pass".....think it each day.

Patti said...

Welcome back! Sending prayers your way that the difficulties will resolve. I've learned the lesson that you spoke of so eloquently myself and know exactly what you mean. Even a few stitches help one to take a deep breath and relax if only just a bit...
Blessings, Patti

Patty C. said...

Glad you are back - I pray for good fortune & blessings for your family. Life happens & not always the way we expect it to ...

Just keep moving - hindsight is always easier & whatever trials you are going through you are not alone - Hang in there - sometimes that is all you can do in the midst of a storm - But as I recall - when the storm is over - That's when you can see the RAINBOW !!!!!!

God Bless !!

cucki said...

hello deary, me so happy to see your post..
sending you lots of love and big beary hugs
cucki xx

Joy said...

Glad to see you back! I also know the power in those tiny x's...such healers. We all have our storms and will grow stronger as we surface from them. Use those x's and let them help you walk through it. In the meantime, we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers...that's what stitchers do!! :-)

Jacqueline said...

I hope life becomes more peaceful for you in all aspects.

Glad you are back

edie said...

So glad you're back. You were missed. Those little stitches are the best therapy there is! Take care, and be good to yourself.

Firecracker Kid said...

Hi Jennie, So good to see you back. Stay strong in your faith my friend.
Hugs~Carol

ArchangelDecker said...

Hope life becomes more peaceful for you soon. Sending prayers and good thoughts! :)