Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day


I just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a Happy 4th of July.  

The photo above is all that exists of what was meant to be a small Americana quilt.  There are a few flying geese hanging about my sewing table but these blocks are the only two I managed to complete.

I have been woefully unproductive these past few weeks.  I am enjoying every moment with my children but I am yearning to create something.  I am going to have to set aside some time for myself in the coming days.  I always feel so terrible telling the children "Mommy needs some alone time".  I feel as though I am turning them away (which I suppose I am) and missing out on precious time with them (also probably true).  I have found, though, that I am a much better mother when there is a little time each day for myself.  Without that time my patience wears thing, my temper grows short and I'm just generally grouchy.  If I can find just a little time in the evenings with my needle and thread I find that the next day I am a much more pleasant person to be around :)

So the plan tonight after the carnival and fireworks display is to curl up on the sofa, turn the ac up a bit so I can enjoy a cup of tea, watch anything other than cartoons, put needle to thread and without any guilt whatsoever tell everyone "this is my time".  I'll be declaring my own independence (of a sort).  

I hope everyone else has as enjoyable and evening and hopefully if I can keep my resolve more nights than not I'll have more to share in the coming weeks (fingers crossed).

xoxo

Jennie Lynn

2 comments:

Ann said...

I understand what you are saying 100% about needing some "you" time. If I can carve out just a few minutes everyday to do something, my patience level is much higher. Now that my kids are older - 17, 14, 11 it is much easier to get that me time. Can't wait to see what you stitch! Happy 4th. ~Ann

Robin at The Primitive Hutch said...

Understand about the me time ~ although I don't have kids at home any more ~ my granddaughter is over a lot ~ so when I need to work on projects ~ I give her projects to do also ~ Love to create together!

Wishing you and your family a fun filled day!!!

Hope you get some of that creative time!!! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
Prim Blessings
Robin